Cranial Navigation Application
Integrated Tools. Intuitive Control.
Brainlab neuronavigation combines ease of use with extended functionality tailored to the surgeons’ needs
With digital patient data uploaded to the Brainlab Cranial Navigation application in the O.R., surgeons can identify their approach before making an incision. Cranial Navigation tracks tools¹ in real time and displays their position in relation to the patient data. Surgeons are guided through procedures, helping to keep skull openings small and minimize damage to healthy structures.
- Simultaneous navigation in different datasets
- Combines relevant details in overlaid views
- User interface designed for touch control
- Automated functions minimize interaction
- Universal instrument calibration on-the-fly
- Seamless import of all iPlan® data
- Variety of hardware and software options
Regardless of the patient’s position, Brainlab Cranial Navigation offers multiple techniques for referencing them to the system. Z-touch® and Softouch® are based on surface matching, making patient registration quick and easy by simply touching the patients’ skin with either a pointer or a laser. As both devices register CT and MR images without headsets or markers, registration scans can be avoided, helping to reduce neuronavigation costs and radiation exposure to the patient and O.R. team.
- Pointer registration with or without markers
- Touch-sensitive surface matching with Softouch
- Contact-free surface matching with Z-touch
- Combined surface matching registration
- Pre- and intraoperative landmark registration
Automatic Image Registration
Automatic Image Registration (AIR) is the fundamental technology for seamless integration of intraoperative MRI or CT² images with image guided surgery. AIR adds intraoperatively acquired data to surgical navigation, optimizing the workflow while maintaining the preoperative surgical plan.
- Eliminates need to access anatomical landmarks
- Accurate image registration
- Available for various MR scanners
- Universal integration of CT, rotational angiograph and cone-beam CT³
High Precision Alignment
Surgeons can target pre-planned trajectories in less than a minute with Brainlab VarioGuide®. Universal instrument holder VarioGuide offers continuous position feedback and precise step-by-step workflow guidance for a variety of procedures. Surgeons are able to take biopsies, place shunts, or guide an endoscope with increased confidence through proven passive-marker technology.
- Bridges gap between head frame and freehand
- Flexible instrument adaptation (Ø 1.8 – 8 mm)
- Increases efficiency and patient comfort
- Pre-calibrated Biopsy Needle (Ø 1.8 mm) further increases confidence in biopsy procedures
Navigated Disposable Biopsy Needle
The Disposable Biopsy Needle is designed for navigated removal of tissue samples in frameless neurosurgery procedures. The elaborate design increases safety and confidence while the pre-calibrated geometry allows for instant use of navigation. Together with Brainlab VarioGuide and the Cranial Navigation application, pre-planned trajectories can be quickly targeted.
- Pre-calibrated and navigation-ready
- Up to 150 mm usable biopsy length
- 1.8 mm outer diameter
- 10 mm cutting window
- Stopper for securing calculated length
Navigated Disposable Stylet
The Disposable Stylet is designed for the navigated placement of shunts or ventricular catheters in neurosurgery, enabling their quick and easy freehand placement. The incorporated passive marker geometry is automatically recognized by the navigation camera, allowing for instant calibration.
- Navigation-ready pre-calibrated tool
- Shunt/catheter vendor independent
- 1.1 mm diameter, 165 mm length
NDI Disposable Reflective Marker Spheres spheres.ndigital.com / NDI Spheres Compatibility Statement
Commercial availability for cranial applications pending
Technical feasibility determined on case-by-case basis