Dr. Pouratian is Associate Professor and Chief of Functional Neurosurgery at UCLA. As a technology expert for neurological restoration, he describes existing and forthcoming revolutions in imaging and how advanced visualization of data is key for deep brain stimulation procedures. Click image to watch video.
Frame-based neurosurgical procedures
Advance your frame-based neurosurgical procedures with modular Elements software for stereotactic planning and experience a new level of arc and implant integration.
Deep brain stimulation is one treatment possibility for Parkinson’s disease, essential tremor and dystonia, as their causes are located in or near the basal ganglia region. Stimulation electrodes implanted stereotactically replace brain signals with artificial electric impulses in order to reduce symptoms.
Dr. Alterman is Professor of Neurosurgery and Head of the Department of Neurosurgery at the Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center in Boston. Twenty years ago, he began incorporating Brainlab software into his workflows. Here he highlights the importance of intraoperative imaging in deep brain stimulation surgery. Click image to watch video.
Dr. Zrinzo of the National Hospital for Neurology and Neurosurgery, Queen Square London is the author of numerous peer-reviewed publications. Watch the video for his comments on advanced planning, new treatment options and potential future indications.
Basic Module – Elements Stereotaxy
Elements Stereotaxy consolidates fibers and atlas objects for more detailed trajectory planning and frame coordinates. Localization of MR or CT images and arc coordinate calculation is available for a variety of stereotactic frame systems.
- Case-specific 3D trajectory visualization for deep brain stimulation, sEEG, catheter placement or biopsy
- Intuitive AC/PC definition supports traditional target planning
- Personalized trajectory templates can be saved
- Compatible with Leksell® VantageTM Stereotactic System from Elekta, CRW from Integra and ZD from Inomed
- Image blending for visualizing multimodal information simultaneously
- New 3D glass objects, bone and cortex view
- High variety of lead shape customization options for full flexibility in support of lead, electrodes and probe modeling
Advanced Module – Elements Segmentation Basal Ganglia
Elements Segmentation automatically contours 16 anatomical structures of the basal ganglia region, including Subthalamic Nucleus (STN), Globus Pallidus Internal (GPI) and Ventral Intermediate (VIM) Nucleus. Based on MR data, this patient-specific atlas provides a detailed map for planning stereotactic surgery procedures such as deep brain stimulation.
- Patented Synthetic Tissue Model enables thorough anatomical mapping
- Efficient and consistent automation of time-consuming contouring process
- Intuitive review and editing tools
- Individual segmentation possible in abnormal and asymmetric brains
Advanced Module – Elements Fibertracking
Elements Fibertracking processes and visualizes DTI data to enable preservation of vital functions in eloquent white matter structures. Incorporated into the Elements for Stereotaxy workflow, segmented atlas objects like the VIM can be used as a seed point.
- Region-of-interest tracking based on automatically segmented or manually contoured objects
- Dynamic live tracking in 2D, 3D and Brain Projection views
- Possibility to adjust Fractional Anisotropy value, maximum fiber angulation and length
- Ideal in combination with Elements Cranial Distortion Correction, providing more accurate datasets through deformable co-registrations
Advanced Module – Elements Lead Localization
Elements Lead Localization extends software support in functional neurosurgery beyond preoperative planning. Deep brain stimulation leads from any manufacturer are automatically detected in postoperative CT scans with their contacts visualized in relation to the patient’s anatomy.
- Advance quality control right after stereotactic surgery with a reality check
- Easy comparison of planned lead templates in 3D with actual lead positions
- Unique orientation adjustment and full 3D lead model of directional Boston Scientific DBS leads
- Facilitates seamless handover to neurologists
- Utilization of lead shapes to refine lead tip detection
- Extended Measurement Toolset
Partnership with Boston Scientific
In place since 2015, the strategic collaboration with Boston Scientific Corporation provides patients and physicians with a comprehensive portfolio for deep brain stimulation therapy – a therapy intended to treat a variety of disorders, including Parkinson’s disease.
Boston Scientific distributes the Brainlab Elements planning portfolio with the Boston Scientific Vercise™ Deep Brain Stimulation family of systems in selected countries, offering physicians advanced device technology with sophisticated software capabilities.